Sunday, January 14, 2007

snowing



Its snowing today. I would guess around 4" so far. Heard noise outside a while ago and found the neighbor running his snow blower and clearing our walks. It sure is nice to have young neighbors who will go out of their way to help the older people in the neighborhood.

DS#2 got up about 4 and looked out, called over and asked if we had done the walk. I told him no the neighbor, North, did it. He was happy as he had to get ready to go to work. He works a 24/7 shift, which means one week he works from 6 PM to 6AM on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, has Wed. and Thurs nights off, the following week is just the opposite, has the days he worked off and the days he was off as workdays. For those who do not know our son bought the house across the street last winter. Its nice having him close by after being at a distance for about 22 years.

The quilts. the round quilt is a sample of a class I taught at State Meeting a couple years ago. I called it ironworks. A really fun technique. The pattern is designed and cut out just like we used to cut paper snowflakes when we were kids. Then design is traced to paper side of fusible, pressed to black fabric and cut out. Paper pulled and black fused to a bright background. Layered with backing and batting, then a black zig zag stitch is used to finish the edges and quilt at the same time.

The other is a butterfly quilt made from fat quarters of batiks that I purchased at Paducah. Its on my design wall and my quilt inspecting cat is giving it the once over. She will actually pull things off that she doesn't like. Sometimes I wonder about that cat!!! Her name is Patches, for the patches of white and black in her fir. This quilt is basted and ready to quilt.

2 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Wow, Jo - I have a pattern like your Ironworks -- for some reason, I never did it - silly me! I may just pull it out after seeing your gorgeous project!

LOVE that butterfly quilt, and also, the Inspector Cat!

Cold here, but no new snow, thank goodness. Keep up the photos - we all LOVE them.

Elaine Adair said...

Wow, Jo - I have a pattern like your Ironworks -- for some reason, I never did it - silly me! I may just pull it out after seeing your gorgeous project!

LOVE that butterfly quilt, and also, the Inspector Cat!

Cold here, but no new snow, thank goodness. Keep up the photos - we all LOVE them.